Thursday, March 31, 2016
Trump says punish women for illegal abortions, then back-tracks
By Seema Sinha
Hrithik Roshan may have thought he was being witty when he tweeted that he "was more likely to be dating the Pope" than any of the actresses the media had been linking him up with, after his divorce from Sussanne Khan.
But the wisecrack has landed the actor in a whole lot of trouble, as he was served a legal notice by Abraham Mathai, the former vice chairman of the State Minorities Commission. Mathai is also the president of Indian Christian Voice. Hrithik has been accused of hurting the sentiments of the Christian community by his remark about their religious head.
The notice against Hrithik was filed by Mathai under Section 295A of the Indian Penal Code, for making "unwarranted" and "uncalled for" remarks against the Pope on Twitter on January 28. Incidentally, Mathai' notice has been sent by Rizwan Siddique — the same lawyer who has been representing Kangana Ranaut in her legal spat with Hrithik.
Section 295A of the Indian Penal Code states that "Deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs – Whoever, with deliberate and malicious intention of outraging the religious feelings of any class of citizens of India, by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise, insults or attempts to insult the religion or the religious beliefs of that class, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both."
In an interview with Scroll, Abraham Mathai said, "Hrithik Roshan has the right to have a relationship with anyone, but he doesn’t have the right to draw in the Pope. This has unfortunate inferences — it suggests that the Pope is gay. I’ve asked Roshan for an unconditional apology. It hurts the Catholic community for whom the Pope is a revered personality.”
Hrithik's tweet was reportedly in response to an interview by Kangana Ranaut — with whom he had been linked by the press — in which she spoke about a "silly ex". Kangana had not specifically named Hrithik in the interview.
But things came to a head earlier this month when it emerged that both actors had sent legal notices to each other — Hrithik alleging that Kangana had stalked him and denying that they had ever been in a relationship, while Kangana's notice had claimed that she had been threatened and intimidated by Hrithik, who was trying to cover up their affair.
She had given the actor seven days to withdraw his complaint.
With this second legal notice for Hrithik, it seems his troubles are only just beginning.
Pope declares that hell is a myth and stands at odds with the concept of a loving God
POPE Francis has started another fierce debate within the Catholic Church by stating that the concept of a burning hell where people burn eternally cannot be Christian as it goes against the concept of a loving and passionate God.
Over recent months, Pope Francis has been speaking a lot about how Christianity should be loving and caring, challenging a lot of the orthodox views held by the church establishment. Only last week, he challenged weapons manufacturers who claim they are Christians, saying that their work clashed with their faith and as such they cannot call themselves Christian.
Recently named Man of The Year by Time Magazine, Pope Francis has sparked off another debate with controversial remarks at the Third Vatican Council that just held. In what was the largest and most important Catholic gathering of priests since the Second Vatican Council in 1962, Pope Francis also challenged the concept of Adam and Eve.
Pope Francis said: “Through humility, soul searching, and prayerful contemplation we have gained a new understanding of certain dogmas. The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer as this doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God.
“God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity and God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device and hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God.”
In a shocking speech that is reverberating across the world, Pope Francis declared that all religions are true because they are true in the hearts of all those who believe in them. He added that in the past, the church has been harsh on those it deemed morally wrong or sinful but it can no longer judge people today.
“Like a loving father, we never condemn our children. Our church is big enough for heterosexuals and homosexuals, for the pro-life and the pro-choice.
“For conservatives and liberals, even communists are welcome and have joined us. We all love and worship the same God,” Pope Francis added.
Over the last six months, Catholic cardinals, bishops and theologians have been deliberating in the Vatican City, in discussing the future of the church and redefining long-held Catholic doctrines and dogmas. A few cardinals in the Catholic Church are against Pope Francis’ latest declarations that has split opinion within the faith.
JEFFREY DAUGHERTY (www.jeffreydaugherty.com) submitted this news item by NW
Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Sydney officially declares
arrival of British settlers '
- Council votes to change wording on city's literature of after intense aboriginal lobbying
- First Fleet, which landed 223 years ago, recognised as having 'devastating impact' on native population
By RICHARD SHEARS FOR MAILONLINE
UPDATED: 17:14 GMT, 28 June 2011
UPDATED: 17:14 GMT, 28 June 2011
For decades Aboriginal tribes have insisted the arrival of British settlers in Australia was an 'invasion' - and now councillors in Sydney have agreed that will be the official version.
In 1788 Britain sent the first 11 ships of what were to be 806 over the next 52 years to Australia, the original convoy being referred to as the First Fleet.
The Aborigines who had occupied the continent for up to 40,000 years stared in astonishment as the first vessels, packed with convicts, moored at what was to be Sydney.
In modern times, the Aborigines have insisted their land was stolen by the 'white fellahs' and the arrival of the ships was an invasion of their country.
Now Sydney City Council, by a vote of 7-2, has become the first local authority to recognise that Britain did indeed invade Australia.
And the contentious description will be included in the 2030 city plan following intense lobbying from indigenous advisors.
The document will replace the words 'European arrival' with 'European invasion'.
It will tells of the 'devastating impact' to the local Eora tribe of the arrival of British settlers on the shores of Sydney Harbour 223 years ago, resulting in the 'occupation and appropriation of tradition lands.'
The documents add that 'despite the destructive impact of this invasion, Aboriginal culture endured and is now globally recognised as one of the world's oldest cultures.'
AUSTRALIA AND BRITAIN
As the council debated the wording, some members objected fiercely to the word 'invasion' - an argument that was listened to by a large number of Aborigines sitting in the public gallery.
A spokeswoman for Lord Mayor Clover Moore said later that all councillors acknowledged the devastating impact European settlement had on the Aboriginal population.
'The Council of the City of Sydney recognised that, by acknowledging our shared past, we are laying the groundwork for a future which embraces all Australians - a future based on mutual respect and shared responsibility for our land.'
It is estimated that at least 1,500 Aborigines lived along the shores of what was to become Sydney at the time of white settlement - and half of them perished 10 years later in a smallpox epidemic.
The impact on the Aboriginal population did not end there.
Many were killed under a programme offering bounties for dead Aborigines and large numbers were forced into slavery for their 'white masters'.
Just 470,000 pure-blood Aborigines exist today in Australia, which has a population of 22 million.
The Sydney City Council's decision has been welcomed by Aboriginal leaders as as 'a victory for common sense'.
Paul Morris, head of the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, said Jewish people would not accept a watered-down version of the Holocaust, so Aborigines should be able to call the events of 1788 an invasion.
He said: 'Other councils should now recognise this.
'The Jewish people and the native Americans, they wouldn't want the truth of their history watered down, so why should we?'