Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Church scams - form Christian Endowment board - Madras High Court

 I found several related orders/observations from the Madras High Court pushing for a statutory board to regulate church/Christian institutions — though I couldn't verify a single official list of exactly "four cases." Here's what surfaced, in chronological order:

**1. CSI Synod election dispute (2023)**

The Madras HC invalidated the Church of South India's January 2023 Synod elections at Hubli over procedural irregularities — an early instance of the court intervening in church governance.

**2. CSI two-member administrator panel (April 2024)**

The court appointed a two-member panel to run the crisis-hit CSI amid internal administrative disputes. The Supreme Court later restrained these administrators from exercising their powers. [UCA News](https://www.ucanews.com/news/indian-court-order-on-church-properties-worries-christians/106854)


**3. Section 22A observation (May 28, 2024)**

Justice G.R. Swaminathan flagged the need to extend Section 22A of the Registration Act, 1908, to cover church properties. [Organiser](https://organiser.org/2024/10/26/262350/bharat/tamil-nadu/tamil-nadu-madras-high-court-urges-dmk-govt-to-set-up-new-board-to-manage-church-properties-echoes-waqf-board-model/)

**4. Scott Christian College matter (Oct 23, 2024 onward)**

The most detailed one. The Madurai Bench directed the Union Ministry of Home Affairs and Tamil Nadu's Chief Secretary to state their position on creating a statutory body for Christian institutions, while hearing petitions on a correspondent's appointment at Scott Christian College, Kanniyakumari. [The Commune](https://thecommunemag.com/madurai-bench-of-madras-hc-seeks-centre-tn-response-on-regulatory-body-for-christian-institutions-cites-fund-misuse/) Justice N. Sathish Kumar noted that while Hindu and Muslim endowments are statutorily regulated, no comparable framework exists for Christian ones, [The Hans India](https://www.thehansindia.com/tamilnadu/christian-bodies-express-discontent-on-madras-hc-observation-over-governing-church-properties-922909) and reiterated this again in October 2024, comparing it to the Waqf Board model. [Organiser](https://organiser.org/2024/10/26/262350/bharat/tamil-nadu/tamil-nadu-madras-high-court-urges-dmk-govt-to-set-up-new-board-to-manage-church-properties-echoes-waqf-board-model/)

A few caveats: several of these are stages of the *same* ongoing matter (Scott Christian College) rather than four independent cases, and I don't have exact case/W.P. numbers for all of them. If you have a source naming four specific citations, I'm happy to search for those directly — or I can dig into court records (case status search) for precise W.P. numbers if that's what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Church scams - form Christian Endowment board - Madras High Court

 I found several related orders/observations from the Madras High Court pushing for a statutory board to regulate church/Christian instituti...